Wednesday, September 21, 2011

August 22


On Monday, I studied for most of the day, and then went to meet Clare on campus. I dropped off 8 library books and didn’t pick any up! I think I had some to pick up, but I can’t get any more new books, so they’ll just have to be forgotten. It felt good. Then I met Clare at the Red Room for a couple glasses of wine. Then her awesome soon-to-be hubby came and picked us up and drove us to their apartment. He made dinner while we chatted on the patio with some Champagne. The dinner he made was excellent. Just a simple chicken roast with an assortment of veggies and a delicious saffron, black truffle polenta. No big deal. WHAT. It was amazing. The chicken tasted like chicken, everything was just so flavourful and nothing overpowered the other. I don’t even like black truffles, but the polenta was incredible. He said it was because usually people make the truffle flavor the main flavor, when they shouldn’t. It should just compliment other flavors. So true! I hate it when it’s too much. But this was perfect. Anyway, then we had a glass of red wine and we decided to watch a movie while he put together a menu.. So, we watched a chick flick – The Holiday. Then I knew after the movie was my cue to go. I didn’t want to overstay my welcome like last time. So, I headed out and walked over to the train station and caught a train back into the city. Waiting for the train, I got a little sad about life and my sister. By the time I made it back to my hostel, I decided to seek out my roommate, who seems to be good at making sullen people happier. So, I went to the bar, looking for her. Ended up finding the guy that she usually hangs out with, so I walked up to him and he put a ball in my hand. I guess I was perfect timing for the next beer pong tourney and he needed a teammate. So, I played beer pong, but I’m terrible at it and ended up knocking over two of the cups, which pretty much lost the game for us. Great. Then he went to go smoke a cigarette and the other two guys who we were playing against started teasing me for losing. I found out one was Canadian (funny, because I hadn’t known before and I see him all the time), and so I tried to talk to him about that, but suddenly it turned into a making fun of America conversation and both of them were chiming in, not letting me say anything or defend my country. I felt like absolute shit and was getting furious. I didn’t know what else to do, so I just grabbed my coat and stormed out of the bar without looking back. Then I headed down the stairs and couldn’t find my room key between my purse, sweater, jacket, scarf, etc. And it was raining on me, with no cover as I struggled to find my key. So I kinda just lost it and started feeling really bad. Finally found my key in my jacket pocket and went to my room, where the Canadian girl was and I mumbled to her something about never feeling so ashamed to be an American. Then I got ready for bed and brushed my teeth. My Denmark roommate saw me in the bathroom, saw how upset I was and was telling me “Aww, they didn’t mean anything by it”, but I wouldn’t listen. I just wanted to get away and go to bed, so I went to the room and tried to go to sleep. The Canadian roommate chatted with me for a bit and I calmed down..

Roommates: Same, Same.

No comments:

Post a Comment